With the Boks riding a 12-Test winning streak and playing in front of a sold-out Ellis Park, the pressure narrative writes itself — but Rennie isn't interested in it. Asked directly whether the weight of expectation falls on the home side, he declined to run with it, calling it mind games and framing the match simply as one of world rugby's toughest challenges. More revealing is his broader tour assessment: Rennie sees this four-Test series, with warm-up wins over the Stormers, Sharks and Bulls already banked, as a deliberate World Cup preparation block — one he believes will leave the All Blacks in a significantly stronger position 12 months out from the 2027 tournament. He's candid that drawing first blood at Ellis Park matters, while acknowledging whoever loses the opener will inevitably downplay it.
Rennie refuses to play mind games ahead of Ellis Park opener
Rennie won't manufacture pressure narratives ahead of Ellis Park — but his comments on the tour's broader purpose, and what a series win would mean for All Blacks World Cup prep, are worth noting for Bok supporters sizing up the opposition's intent.
Brown confirms post-2027 All Blacks move but eyes World Cup glory with Boks first
Springbok attack coach Tony Brown will join Dave Rennie's All Blacks staff from 2028, but remains committed to helping South Africa win a third successive World Cup title before his departure.
Tony Brown to join All Blacks backroom staff in 2028 after Springbok contract ends
NZR have confirmed Tony Brown will join the All Blacks' backroom staff in 2028 on a two-year contract, with the Springboks attack coach set to depart after the 2027 Rugby World Cup. It is the third time NZR have pursued Brown, having previously been rejected during the Foster and Robertson eras.
Matthee 'never really been out of the team' as Stormers back him to fill Feinberg-Mngomezulu void against Leinster
Jurie Matthee starts at flyhalf for the Stormers in Saturday's URC semifinal against Leinster in Dublin after Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu was ruled out for three months with an ankle injury. Assistant coach Rito Hlungwani says Matthee's integration into the starting side will be seamless, pointing to his consistent involvement in training and a strong record when called upon, including man-of-the-match performances against Benetton in Treviso and the Bulls away. Wing Seabelo Senatla, concussed against Cardiff, also misses the trip.
Dobson: Kolbe returning to win trophies, not to wind down
John Dobson says Cheslin Kolbe has made a major financial sacrifice to return to the Stormers, motivated by winning trophies rather than winding down his career, while warning the franchise is close to its limit on high-profile signings.
Keo & Zels: Stubborn All Blacks policy make Boks smile
The boys love that New Zealand keep picking their second-best, long may it continue.