Rassie Erasmus has confirmed Siya Kolisi is in line to return for next weekend's Test against the All Blacks in Cape Town, following a hamstring-disrupted start to the 2026 season that has kept him out of the bulk of the Rugby Championship campaign.
Kolisi missed the entire Nations Championship in July, was withdrawn 24 minutes into his comeback Test against Argentina on August 8, and was again rested for Saturday's 33-16 defeat at Ellis Park — a match in which Pieter-Steph du Toit captained the side and Paul de Villiers started at openside.
"I thought Paul played really well," Erasmus said. "But I know Siya is back next week."
Erasmus had previously confirmed Kolisi trained with the squad during the week leading into the Ellis Park Test but that the cautious approach to his recovery took precedence over selection. "We are playing four Tests against the All Blacks and Paul has been playing well, so we are excited to give him a chance this weekend in what will be his first Test match against New Zealand, while taking a precautionary approach to Siya's return."
De Villiers's inclusion now appears set to be a one-match opportunity, with Kolisi expected to reclaim both his starting berth and the captaincy in Cape Town.
The returning captain's comeback is, however, tempered by injury concerns over two of the Springboks' first-choice wingers. Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt-Lee Arendse were both taken off during Saturday's defeat, though Erasmus downplayed the severity of both exits. "It was more cramp than anything else," he said of Kolbe, who had been named as designated goal-kicker ahead of Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu. On Arendse, Erasmus noted: "His mouth guard pinged and the match doctor didn't clear him."